Top 10 reasons to work at VA
There are a lot of places you could build a career. But VA can offer opportunities, camaraderie, and satisfaction unlike any other. Here are just a few of the ways a job at VA stands out from the crowd.
The best patients — Veterans!
- Give back to America’s heroes and help improve life for them and their families every day.
- Develop genuine bonds with patients to help you better meet their unique needs.
- Serve the most diverse group of Veterans in history and help them overcome a variety of health challenges.
The mission to serve America
- We are united to deliver on President Lincoln’s promise to honor and care for the brave men and women who put their lives on the line to protect our country.
- Our culture is defined through our “I CARE” set of core values: integrity, commitment, advocacy, respect, and excellence. Every day, we’re dedicated to showing how much we care for our Veterans.
Nation’s largest health care system
- Each year, we serve over 9 million Veterans in 1,200+ health care facilities throughout all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories.
- We employ nearly 400,000 health care professionals and support staff across the nation.
- A leader in clinical innovation and surgical quality, we perform over 600,000 surgical procedures annually.
Innovation and cutting-edge technology
- Be empowered to innovate through our Innovation Ecosystem, a catalyst for health care discovery that advances care delivery and service.
- VA is a leader in telehealth, with over 2 million Veterans accessing care through telehealth in 2021.
- We offer state-of-the-art tools, including speech-recognition capabilities, virtual technologies, mobile devices, and renowned knowledge-based resources.
- We offer a broad range of scholarships, tuition reimbursement, and loan repayment programs, as well as other educational opportunities to help you in your lifelong quest for learning.
- Employees with federal student loans may be eligible for the national Public Student Loan Forgiveness program.
- We conduct the largest medical education program in the country, with 7,000 training programs in partnership with over 1,800 academic institutions.
- Enjoy flexible schedules, and sometimes even remote work options, to accommodate your needs and lifestyle.
- Take advantage of on-site perks, like child care, dining facilities, and fitness centers.
- Receive generous vacation and personal leave, including 13-26 paid days off, 13 sick days, and 11 paid federal holidays.
Exceptional career benefits
- Choose from a variety of high-quality health care plans, as well as flexible spending accounts.
- Plan for the future with access to the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) and Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), life insurance, and long-term care insurance.
- Get protection from malpractice lawsuits, at no cost to you, under federal tort laws.
- Receive up to 15 days a year of military leave support for reservists and National Guard.
- Dedicated professionals work on Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACT) to coordinate Veterans care and promote total health and wellness.
- We’re a leader in patient satisfaction with more than half of VA hospitals receiving top marks on the 2022 Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems patient survey report.
- We integrate across the continuum of care — including providing mental health integration in clinical practice and embedding clinical pharmacists in primary care.
Live and work anywhere
- One active, unrestricted state license allows you to practice in any VA facility nationwide.
- Wherever life may lead, you can seek employment at any facility with an open position and transfer with no loss of benefits.
- With our integrated system, you’re free to explore new areas of career development and pursue opportunities anywhere within VA.
- You have 24/7 access to diverse online courses and training options to help advance your career.
- We offer ongoing internal training opportunities to employees at all employment levels, from mandatory developmental programs to competitive opportunities.
- Through our Leadership Development Framework (LDF), targeted learning and development resources support you in both your career and at home.
I was looking for something with a much better work/life balance. That is what led me to the VA.Cody Poell Clinical Staff Pharmacist