Reach your goals through one of the most comprehensive education support programs in the nation. A focus on continuous learning allows us to deliver on our promise to provide top-quality patient care.
Gain access to educational incentives, scholarships, and loan repayment programs that keep you at the top of your game.
- Employee Incentive Scholarship Program (EISP) — Serve and care for the nation’s Veterans and continue your health care education with a scholarship through EISP.
- Health Professional Scholarship Program (HPSP) — HPSP awards scholarships to students receiving education/training in a health care services discipline. In exchange, you agree to serve in a VA health care facility.
- National Nursing Education Initiative (NNEI) — Accelerate your nursing career training while serving the nation’s Veterans by applying for financial assistance through NNEI.
- VA National Education for Employees Program (VANEEP) — Choose a career that lets you stay on firm financial footing as you pursue first-time clinical licensure through VANEEP.
- VA Student Trainee Experience Program (VA-STEP) — Nursing and medical laboratory scientist students who have completed their junior year can gain paid experience at a local VA facility through VA-STEP.
- Visual Impairment and Orientation and Mobility Professionals Scholarship Program (VIOMPSP) — Students seeking a degree or certificate in visual impairment or orientation and mobility can receive a scholarship through VIOMPSP. In exchange, you agree to a 3-year service obligation in a VA facility.
Loan Repayment and Reimbursement
- Education Debt Reduction Program — Choose a health care career providing top-notch care to America’s Veterans and receive student loan repayment of up to $200,000 through EDRP.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program — Employees with federal student loans may be eligible for this national loan forgiveness program.
- Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) — Employees in certain occupations may be eligible to receive up to $40,000 per year (with a lifetime maximum of $100,000) to help repay student loans through SLRP. Request information when submitting your employment application.
- Specialty Education Loan Repayment Program (SELRP) — Physicians-in-training may receive loan repayment of $40,000 each year, up to a maximum of $160,000, in exchange for working in a VA facility.
- Talent Management System 2.0 (TMS 2.0) — This online portal offers access to both VA-required training and a variety of resources to enhance your career, including thousands of instructor-led courses, on-demand training, books, podcasts, and more. Manage your learning activities in a single, official training record with My Development Plan, a tool to help you set, share, and track goals.
- LinkedIn Learning — You’ll receive a LinkedIn Learning license, providing 24/7 access to thousands of courses taught by industry experts and curated lists of content. Courses are also accessible through the TMS 2.0 portal.
- Skillsoft — This platform features the largest online library of books, videos, audiobooks, and courses to help you upskill and stay on the cutting edge. Courses are also accessible through the TMS 2.0 portal.
- Leadership Development —We offer leadership development opportunities from the ground level through to senior executives. Virtual Aspiring Supervisor Program is an online program that supports those who aspire to lead, while the Senior Executive Candidate Development Program was created to train the next generation of senior executive government leaders.
- VA Learning Online Resource — This virtual brochure, created by the Human Capital Services Center, connects our team members to learning opportunities.
- Professional Development — Our Human Capital Services Center is dedicated to helping you continue your education. Through the VA Leadership Development Framework (LDF), we offer targeted learning and development resources to support you in both your career and at home. Listen to the “Are You Future Ready? AdVAncing Your Professional Development” podcast to learn more.
- Employee Education System (EES) — EES partners with VA, VHA program offices, and Veterans Integrated Service Networks (VISNs) to provide quality workforce education and training. EES also offers accredited courses and programs, in association with 17 national and two state accrediting bodies.
- VA Knowledge Network — This a state-of-the-art digital satellite system delivers learning and performance improvement opportunities wherever you are. Programming is offered on 4 channels, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Colleges and Universities — VA will often pay for full- or part-time college studies. Sign up for general or specialized course work from a wide variety of nearby colleges and universities.
When I first started working here, it was part of a loan repayment program. After I satisfied my 5 years, I did not want to leave.Toni Garvin, MD Hospitalist